What's New with VIU's Alumni?
Your VIUpoint Alumni eNewsletter is Now Available Online
Check out the latest news from your VIU Alumni Association and the VIU campus in the VIUpoint Alumni eNewsletter. If you have signed up to receive the eNewsletter, it should now be in your inbox. Otherwise it is available online at VIUpoint eNewsletter.
Join VIU at Canada’s leading leadership event – September 16, 2016.
The Art of Leadership conference brings world-renowned leaders and bestselling authors for a full day of cutting edge thinking and real world experience on today’s most critical leadership strategies.
Connect with over 1,200 of Vancouver’s most influential professionals and gain insights from:
- Tom Peters– One of the Most Influential Business Thinkers of All Time & International Bestselling Author
- Sir Ken Robinson– Internationally Acclaimed Expert on Creativity and Innovation & New York Times Bestselling Author
- Neil Pasricha– New York Times Bestselling Author of The Book of Awesome & The Happiness Equation
- Tammy Heermann– Senior Vice President of Strategic Solutions, Lee Hecht Harrison Knightsbridge
- Michael Bungay Stanier– Bestselling Author, Manager Development Expert & Champion for Great Work
Take advantage of our preferred member rate – use promo-code VIU20 and save $50 per pass, or $100 when registering 3 or more together!
*Early Bird Offer* - Register before Friday July 29th and save $100 per pass (Group rates do not apply with this offer). For further details and to register, please visit http://info.theartof.com/lv16/VIU20.
Would you like to be included in the VIU Magazine? We are looking for submission for the Class Notes section. This is where alum share updates and news with fellow alumni. Have you recently changed jobs, been promoted, went traveling, got married, expanded your family, completed further post-secondary education, retired, started a business? The list could go on and on.
If you would like to be included in the upcoming issue of the VIU Magazine, please send Kamala Haughton an email at email@example.com with 3-5 sentences sharing your news.
We would also love to include an image if you have one to share. The file size would need to be minimum 1MB for magazine publishing.
View past issues of the VIU Magazine at https://www2.viu.ca/alumni/newsletter/
White Sails Brewing Alumni Partnership
We are pleased to announce White Sails Brewing in Nanaimo has joined the VIU Alumni Benefit Program! White Sails Brewing is offering alumni a10% discount on Craft Beer served in their Taproom Sunday through Thursday (Friday and Saturday excluded). The program will be available for personal purchases by Alumni members who present their Alumni benefit card at the time of purchase for sleeves or flights. Raise a glass for us!
ENCORE: Help Renew VIU's Malaspina Theatre
Vancouver Island University's Malaspina Theatre is poised for its next big act.
After 40 years of laughter, tears, and memories, the theatre is starting to show its age with creaky seat joints, saggy bottoms, and a weathered lobby. Time has taken its toll on this beloved performance venue and teaching space which is in critical need of new seats, a facelift for the lobby, and upgrades to technology. We hope you will join us as we celebrate Malaspina Theatre's 40th anniversary by making a contribution in support of urgently needed upgrades.
Leave a legacy by contributing to the renewal of VIU's Malaspina Theatre. It is simple, easy, and online. You can make a single donation or set-up a monthly pledge to your selected donation level. If you have any questions, please give Kamala Haughton a call at 250.740.6215 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information, please visit ENCORE.
Katelin Albert Receives 2016 Distinguished Alumni Early Achievement Award
Join us in congratulating Katelin Albert (Bachelor of Arts '08) on receiving the 2016 Distinguished Alumni Early Achievement Award on Thursday, January 28, 2016 at the convocation ceremony. Katelin completed a double Major in Psychology and Sociology with Distinction at VIU in 2008, then a Master's degree in Sociology at the University of Victoria. She is currently a fifth year PhD candidate in Canada's top-ranked Department of Sociology at the University of Toronto. Read the VIU News Article for more on Katelin's achievements. View her acceptance speech on YouTube.
VIU Alumni Benefit - VI Pest Control Ltd
We are pleased to announce that VI Pest Control Ltd. has renewed its VIU Alumni Benefit Partnership agreement. Alumni owned and operated VI Pest Control is offering a 10% discount on its pest control programs for rodent and insect treatment for both commercial and residential structures from Nanaimo to Comox (Comox Valley, Campbell River, Nanaimo, and Parksville-Qualicum Beach). Alumni will need to call to confirm areas serviced. This discount excludes monthly/annual contracts. Please visit their website to view their services, regions covered, and contact information. Self-identify as a VIU alum to receive the discount.
VIU Alumni Benefit Renewals
We are pleased to announce the partnership renewals for the following on campus discounts (full details on the VIU alumni benefit page):
- VIU Theatre Department - Offering alumni student rates at box office for VIU Theatre Department productions, only where a student rate applies
- VIU Campus Store - 20% discount on all VIU crested products and merchandise such as giftware, apparel, mugs (excludes textbooks and computer products). Education pricing on all computers with valid student card (excludes alumni without valid student identification card)
- VIU Library - Annual community library card and PIN. Community card allows alumni to borrow books for free, this includes signing books out, renewing books online, and use of the library catalogue.
- VIU Campus Recreation & Mariner Athletics - Alumni receive 25% discount on regular community service rates on gymnasium passes, court fees, and locker rentals; Alumni receive student rates for racquet day use and towel service; Alumni receive 25% discount on regular community service rates on intramural, fitness and outdoor programs; Alumni receive $4 Admission to Mariner Home games and 25% off VIU Nation gear; Alumni receive 25% off Campus Rec Merchandise purchased in the gym
We are very excited to announce the newly redesigned and renamed VIU Magazine, formerly Journey. Check out the latest news from the campus, alumni feature stories, donor and student stories, and so much more!
VIU Community Embraces 2015 GivingTuesday Campaign
It's amazing how two words can mean so much ... THANK YOU.
We are so very grateful to our students, staff, alumni and community donors that made 230 gifts raising more than $175,000 as part of our GivingTuesday campaign. With matching gifts from the VIU Foundation, VIU students and faculty will benefit from more than $325,000 to fund student awards, projects, experiences, equipment and teaching tools.
Thank you again for your amazing support!
New Benefit Partner - Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort
Alumni with an active alumni benefit card can receive a 20% discount off of Tigh-Na-Mara Seaside Spa Resort and Conference Centre’s best available room rates. Tigh-Na-Mara is an all-season oceanfront resort set in 22 acres of tranquil Arbutus and Douglas Fir forest in picturesque Parksville, BC. Book your reservations at 1.800.663.7373 and identify yourself as a VIU Alumni. Must present active VIU alumni benefit card at time of check-in to receive discount. Discount only applies to accommodation, spa services not included.
New Benefit Partner - Harbour Air Seaplanes
We are pleased to announce a new partnership with Harbour Air Seaplanes. Alumni with an active alumni benefit card along with a government photo ID can receive a 15% discount offered on ALL Harbour Air Seaplanes full fare flights. Please note that VIU alumni wishing to access this discount must present their alumni card upon check in. The full fare will then be discounted. Please note that this offer cannot be combined with any other offer and VIU alumni are permitted to bring 1 guest with them, travelling on the same flight. Only the full fare will be discounted. Does not apply to other discounted fares.
VIU Board of Governors New Appointee - Terence Fitzgerald
We are very honoured and pleased to announce that alumnus Terence Fitzgerald (Applied Arts - Graphics '91; Fine Arts - Visual Art '92) has just been confirmed as the newest member of VIU's Board of Governors. Terence is also an active alum who sits on the VIU Alumni Association Board. Congratulations Terence!!!
Read his biography on the B.C. Government site at http://www.brdo.gov.bc.ca/memView.asp?Member=218933
You can also see him featured on the Journey fall 2009 issue - https://www2.viu.ca/alumni/documents/Journey2009FallWEB.pdf
Are you Interested in Giving Back to your Alma Mater? Become an Alumni Ambassador
The Alumni Ambassador program engages graduates around the world, providing opportunities for you to participate with VIU, your fellow alumni, and your community. We value the dedication of all of our volunteers who organize networking events, professional development opportunities, and other activities for alumni. Alumni Ambassadors provide an invaluable service in strengthening our communication and connection between the university, local communities, and prospective students. Find out more about the Alumni Ambassador program. There are many ways to volunteer. Please contact Kamala Haughton, Alumni Relations and Annual Campaign Officer at email@example.com or call 250.740.6215.
- Distinguished Alumni Award - Early Achievement Award Recipient Serene Kerpan
- Distinguished Alumni Award - Service to Society Award Recipient Malerie Meeker
- Alumna Elizabeth Bassett Wins $17,500 Scholarship
- Bruce Williams Receives Outstanding Service Award
- Alumnus Presents $50,000 Donation to Shq'apthut, A Gathering Place
- Alumna Leah Rourke and Relish Interiors Returns to Powell River
- Alumna Andrea Landry's Master's Thesis and Advocacy Work Takes Her Across the Globe
- VIU's Culinary Institute Receives Great Praise from Alum
- Alumnus Paul Silverthorn's Favourite Recipe
- Alumnus David Wong is New Owner of Nanaimo's Urban Beet
- Alumna Norah Holloway Recognized as one of Top 50 Exceptional Young People from Haida Gwaii
- Alumnus Michael Bortolotto is husband, father, and inspirational public speaker who has Cerebral Palsy
Updated August 5, 2016