How to Join ElderCollege
If you are 50 or better and have an interest in learning, become a member of VIU ElderCollege and take advantage of our many learning opportunities. The annual membership fee is $20 and is valid from June 1 to June 30 of the following year, and most course tuition is $40 + tax per course; material fees may be additional. Younger spouses and partners of ElderCollege members are eligible to attend classes, space permitting. An additional fee of $20 can be paid by those under 50 to attend any class.
Join today by calling 1-866-734-6252
- course registration & administration
- photocopies & supplies for your course
- VIU ElderCollege promotional expenses
- facility usage
- special events
What your membership card gives you
- registration in ElderCollege courses before the course calendar is distributed in the community
Presenting your ElderCollege membership card also gives you:
- One free entrance to Milner Gardens & Woodland in Qualicum Beach (https://www2.viu.ca/milnergardens)
- Reduced rate of $3 for entrance to the Deep Bay Marine Station (https://www2.viu.ca/deepbay)
- Access to the VIU Nanaimo library during your course (https://www2.viu.ca/library)
- Discounts at the VIU Nanaimo Bookstore (https://campus-store.viu.ca/)
- Alumni rates for gym use and activities at the Nanaimo campus (https://www2.viu.ca/campusrec/discounts.asp click on Service Fees for pricing)
- Discount of $2 off adult ticket price to the Classical Coffee Concert Series at the Port Theatre (http://www.porttheatre.com/events/archives/apr-2016/classical-coffee-concert-series-sarah-hagen-friends/)
- Discount of 10% on any retail items from the Esthetics Clinic at the Parksville VIU campus.
Why VIU ElderCollege courses are different
- a participatory learning experience
- no quizzes or grades
- lively, fun and full of discussion
How you can participate
- take a course
- instruct a course
- recruit new members
- volunteer on a committee or the board
ElderCollege courses run in Parksville, Qualicum, and Nanaimo!
Get Involved by volunteering your time as an instructor, a Committee Member, a member of the Board of Management, or a volunteer in other support roles. Read the Strategic Plan to find out more about what the Board of Management does.
- Interested and interesting students
- Lively classes, sometimes with over 1000 years of life experience
- An enthusiastic and participatory environment
- 12 hours of teaching, rather than a full semester
- No exams or assignments to grade
- Invitations to special events
- Complimentary VIU ElderCollege membership and a free ElderCollege course for each course taught
- Access to the VIU library while teaching
- ElderCollege instructors do not need previous teaching experience, they just need to love their topic and be able to communicate it well to their students!
FIND OUT MORE. Complete a Course Proposal Form to submit your course idea.
Call toll free 1-866-734-6252 or email us at email@example.com