The Financial Aid & Award Office is committed to supporting students in their search for financial assistance, both in the form of loans and awards, and in helping students to make the best use of these resources. This Office works closely with the faculties and the Student Services branch of the Ministry of Advanced Education to foster and support student access to financial assistance.
We offer a wide variety of financial assistance to students who require funding to attend Vancouver Island University.
See our Bulletin Board for funding opportunities and important deadlines.
Student Aid BC Student Loans and Grants
- To qualify for a BC student loan you must have been a BC resident for a minimum of 12 months.
- Student Loans and Grants take 6 to 8 weeks to process; apply at least 6 to 8 weeks before tuition is due.
- Student loans require your SIN on your student record to confirm enrollment, check with the VIU registration center to confirm it is on your student record.
- If you have an approved student loan, your funds are not released until 5 to 15 days after your 1st day of class.
- If you have an approved student loan, you must contact the Financial Aid office if you make any enrollment changes or withdraw from any classes.
Student Aid BC Loans and Grants for BC Residents
- Full-time and part-time loans and grants
- Grants for students with permanent disabilities
- Adult Basic Education Grants
- Trades Grants and BC Access Grants
- Student Loan Repayment Assistance Plans (RAP)
- To learn more visit studentaidbc.ca
Other Provincial Student Loan Programs and Assistance
- A source for interactive information & tools designed to help you save, plan & pay for post-secondary education
- To learn more visit canlearn.ca
Web Resources for Trades Students
- Work BC Apprentice Online Portal
- Canada Apprentice Loan
- Industry Training Authority (ITA)
Additional Funding Programs
Youth in Care - VIU Tuition Waiver Program: For eligible students who have grown up in the BC care system
- Apply January to March 31st for fall and/or spring term
- Apply September to October 31st for spring and/or summer term
- To learn more visit viu.ca/FinancialAid/applications.asp
Higher Ed Points: Help fund your Education with Aeroplan Miles
- You can turn Aeroplan loyalty program points (earned by you, your parents, your friends or any other nice people you know) into tuition credits
- To learn more visit higheredpoints.com/
External Scholarship & Award Links: Why apply? Because you can get money!
- Students apply directly as indicated by the posting organization
- “Financial Consumer Agency of Canada”
- To learn more visit fcac-acfc.gc.ca
Interested in VIU Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries?
We received support and you can too!
Apply for VIU Scholarships, Awards & Bursaries by completing your "Scholarship/Award/Bursary Application Profile", located in your VIU Student record.
Complete in 4 easy steps!
- Log onto your student record
- Click on Scholarship/Award/Bursary Profile
- Answer questions and upload any supporting information
- Click Save/Submit
- Bursary/Conference Travel Deadline:
- October 31
- Scholarship & Award Deadline:
- March 31
Complete and/or update your profile anytime from September through to March 31st.
NOTE: You must renew your profile each academic year
- Completed profiles will be used for shortlisting of VIU Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries.
When will selected students be notified?
- Bursary recipients by mid-December
- Entrance Award recipients by mid-May
- Scholarship/Award recipients by mid-July
- Research recipients by December & May
VIU Entrance Scholarships & Awards are available to:
- Current Grade 12 High School students commencing studies at VIU in the upcoming Fall semester, OR
- Students enrolling in a university program for the very first time since high school, OR
- Students who have had an interruption of university studies (more than one year) and will be re-entering to complete their university program.
- Students enrolled and studying at VIU during the fall semester and continuing studies into the spring semester.
VIU Scholarships & Awards are available to:
Students currently studying at VIU during the spring semester and continuing studies into the fall semester.
- To learn more on the above visit viu.ca/financialaid/about.asp
VIU Study Abroad Awards:
VIU Research, Graduate, Conference and Travel:
For more information on Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries visit the Financial Aid and Awards Office at the Nanaimo Campus, located in Building 200, Room 205
- Hours: Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: viu.ca/financialaid/
- Phone: 250-740-6423
Current hours of operation for VIU's other campus locations can be found at:
Click here for information on average expenses for first year studies at Vancouver Island University.