NOTICE TO STUDENTS RE: BARGAINING BETWEEN VANCOUVER ISLAND UNIVERSITY AND THE CANADIAN UNION OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES (CUPE) LOCAL 1858
Update #17 – Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 1:00 pm
The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) Local 1858 has informed Vancouver Island University (VIU) that its membership has ratified a new collective agreement for the period of July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2014. The University’s Board of Governors and the Post-Secondary Employers Association (PSEA) have also approved the settlement.
The settlement includes 0% wage increases in the first two years, and four 1% raises in the final two years (effective December 1, 2012; March 1, 2013; July 1, 2013; and April 1, 2014) for a total increase of 4% by the end of the agreement. The agreement will also provide increases to vision coverage and other improvements.
“This agreement provides a fair wage increase and other improvements for our support staff employees, while also ensuring our budget remains balanced and prudent,” said Ralph Nilson, VIU President and Vice-Chancellor. “Through this settlement, we are not only supporting the government’s cooperative gains mandate but we are also are investing in our most valuable asset: our people.”
“The commitment, professionalism and solidarity shown by our members through the fall was the key to moving this challenging bargaining process forward”, said Deborah Hopper, President of CUPE 1858. “Our members` unity resulted in an agreement that provides equitable improvements in line with those at other post-secondary institutions. We are pleased to see this bargaining session brought to a successful conclusion in a manner that showed respect for all parties.”
VIU and CUPE wish to thank students for their understanding and patience during this collective bargaining process, and express best wishes for success with their studies.
In other labour relations news, VIU is now in the collective bargaining process with the British Columbia Government and Service Employees’ Union (BCGEU) Local 702, which represents faculty teaching in vocational, developmental and applied programs. VIU has also held preliminary discussions with the Vancouver Island University Faculty Association (VIUFA) regarding a renewed collective agreement. VIUFA represents faculty in academic and career programs, as well as technical staff such as counselors and librarians.
Updates on negotiations will be posted at www.viu.ca/labourupdate and @VIUNews as progress and events warrant.
- Update #16 – Friday, December 7, 2012
- Update #15 - Monday, December 3, 2012
- Update #14 - Friday, November 30, 2012
- Update #13 - Tuesday, November 27, 2012
- Update #12 - Monday, November 26, 2012
- Update #11 - Friday, November 23, 2012
- Update #10 - Wednesday, November 21, 2012
- Update #9 - Tuesday, November 20, 2012
- Update #8 - Tuesday, November 20, 2012
- Update #7 - Monday, November 19, 2012
- Update #6 - Monday, November 19, 2012
- Update #5 - Friday, November 16, 2012
- Update #4 - Tuesday, November 13, 2012
- Update #3 - Tuesday, November 6, 2012
- Update #2 - Friday, November 2, 2012
- Update #1 – Friday, October 26, 2012