Academic Emeritus Designation Nominations
As outlined in Policy 92.02, the Academic Emeritus Designation:
- Recognizes the outstanding, distinguished contributions of a retired faculty member to the academic life of Vancouver Island University;
- Recognizes retired faculty members for significant contributions and exceptional service during their long-term association with Vancouver Island University; and
- Encourages and fosters an ongoing relationship between a teacher, librarian, or scholar and the University after retirement so that the reputation of the University may benefit from the continuing relationship and the recipient may benefit from using the University name in the context of appropriate scholarly endeavours.
An Emeritus may act as a mentor to faculty and students; undertake research projects at VIU; assist with or collaborate on grant or funding applications; and present guest lectures, seminars, and workshops. For a full listing of activity examples as well as a listing of some of the privileges granted to Emeriti, over and above those provided by VIU to all retirees, please refer to Policy 92.02.
The title of Academic Emeritus is granted without a definite term, which differs from the status of Honorary Research Associate – a title that is held for a renewable term of a maximum of 3 years.
Eligibility for Academic Emeritus Designation, as stated in Policy 92.02:
- Individuals who have left the employment of Vancouver Island University, normally through retirement, and who usually have served the University for a minimum of ten years may be nominated; and
- Only those holding an appointment as regular faculty members at the time of their retirement shall be considered eligible for the Emeritus designation. The designation recognizes outstanding achievement in teaching or the support of teaching, including librarian, and at least one of either scholarship or service.
Nomination forms are accepted on an ongoing basis, but no later than six months prior to the date of the regular convocation at which the proposed award is to be made.
Please submit a completed nomination form to the Office of the Provost. Nominations will then be forwarded to the Awards & Honours Committee for review and recommendation to Senate. Successful candidates will be informed in writing by the Office of Provost, and the Emeritus designation will be awarded at a regular convocation of VIU. Please note that nominations must include the supporting signatures of at least three faculty members.
If you have questions regarding the nomination process, please email email@example.com.