Canadian Institutes of Health Research
Health Professional Student Research Awards
The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) supports Bachelor of Science in Nursing and Dental Hygiene students to undertake paid clinical research.
The purpose of this program is to further strengthen clinical research by providing research training to health professionals and strengthen talent development. It is expected that this targeted investment will lead to the development of the next generation of clinician researchers.
Value and Duration of the Award
Deadline & Submission Instructions
These awards are offered to health professional students enrolled in an undergraduate program leading to Canadian licensure (e.g., Bachelor of Science Nursing and Dental Hygiene students are also eligible to apply).
- Candidates must have completed at least the first year of study in a health professional school;
- Have obtained over the previous years of study, a cumulative B average;
- Be a student of Vancouver Island University;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; and
- Not currently hold a CIHR award or any other federal source of funding.
Candidates who have completed their professional degree and are eligible to hold a health professional license are NOT eligible to apply. This includes candidates who have completed their degree, but have not yet completed their licensure exam.
The weekly amount for the award is $327. Awards must be held for a minimum
of 4 weeks ($1,308) to a maximum of 13 weeks ($4,251). Start date
no later than March 1, 2016.
To apply for this award, please read the instructions carefully. Your completed application package must include:
- Cover letter -Include a brief cover letter relating research interests in the project and describe why receiving this award would be important to you for your academic and career goals.
- Form 1 - Student
- Form 2 - Proposed supervisor
Proposed Supervisors and Projects:
Please contact the proposed supervisor for questions and to have them complete form 2. You may also submit an application for a different project to work with another proposed supervisor who is not listed below:
The full application package must be submitted elctronically vi e-mail by 11:59pm or in person by 4:00p.m. on (deadline extended) Friday, November 6, 2015 to Kathryn Jepson at the Research & Scholarly Activity Office.
- View video testimonial of previous CIHR award winners Rebecca Stanley and Libby Connor.
- Read testimonial from Sonya Skeeles.
All applications are reviewed by the Vancouver Island University CIHR Awards Selection Committee. Awards will be granted based on:
- Academic excellence.
- Year of study: preference will be given to students that are further along in their degree (e.g., students completing the 3rd year of their BSN will be given preference over those in earlier years, with 2st year students given the lowest preference).
- Quality of cover letter.
Decisions will be sent to students via e-mail no later than one month past the application deadline.
For assistance with your application or questions please contact contact Kathryn Jepson, Research Awards Facilitator.
Updated: October 23, 2015