Skip to main content - Skip to contact information

Facilities: 1940 - 1949

Camp Nanaimo 1942

During WWII, the site of what would become Vancouver Island University was used as an army training camp. Facilities built to serve Camp Nanaimo would later be used as classrooms, workshops, and student dorms.

Building Grease Ramp 1942

Students in this photo are building a grease ramp for the school in 1942.

Campbell & Machleary

Dominion-Provincial Youth Training Centre at Machleary and Campbell Streets, 1943.

Building School circa 1940

Students and instructors contributed to the building of school facilities at Machleary and Campbell Streets. This school was housed in unused buildings on the Thomas Hodgson School property.

Tool room 1947

Jack Macready in the school's tool room, 1947.