Services for Aboriginal Students supports Aboriginal students in making a successful transition to Vancouver Island University and assists students to succeed in their academic endeavors by providing direct services and appropriate referrals.
Shqapthut A Gathering Place on the Nanaimo campus is staffed by a Services for Aboriginal Students team that supports Aboriginal students to succeed in achieving their academic goals.
Monday to Thursday, 8 am to 9 pm
Friday, 8 am to 4 pm
Hours for Services for Aboriginal Students
Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4 pm
- Listen and provide support to students with academic or personal concerns.
- Provide information on, or referrals to, the following:
- community services
- personal counselling
- substance abuse counselling
- career planning
- employment information
- Assist new students with applications, registration and timetabling.
- Provide information about Aboriginal bursaries, scholarships, student loans, and funding for Status, non-Status and Métis students.
- Assist out-of-town students to find accommodation and day-care.
- Promote cultural, recreational, and social activities in partnership with Aboriginal students and the Aboriginal Student Union Representative.
- Liaise with Bands, Tribal Councils, Aboriginal Organizations, students, faculty, and Elders.
For More Information
Phone, email, or drop by Shq'apthut to make an appointment.