The University Relations Department plays a leading role in shaping the advancement, alumni, communications, government relations, marketing, website management and public engagement activities at VIU.
We collaborate across the University to create an exceptional learning environment for our students as well as important relationship networks that will attract, recruit and retain students and community support.
It is the goal of University Relations to implement strategies that position VIU as:
- A centre of excellence for teaching and learning
- A centre of internationally respected research
- A provider of high quality, high calibre graduates who are in demand by employers
- The first choice for adult learners seeking education and training
- A major contributor to Vancouver Island’s culture, economy and knowledge base
- An institution that values a diverse range of training and education
- An institution that values our relationships with our students, alumni, First Nations partners, communities, employees, retirees, government, investors, partners in education and the public
Areas of responsibility include:
- Advancement and Alumni Relations
- Communications and Public Engagement: including A Point of VIU, VIU’s online news source and other key internal publications.
- Government and Public Affairs
- Marketing, Advertising and Design: Publications Policy; Communications guidelines; Logos and logo use (Visual Identity Standards); Social Media Engagement
- Photography and Videography: VIU Flickr Photostream; VIU Youtube Channel
- Web Management: technology use; web accessibility; web standards guidelines
- Milner Gardens and Woodland